Friendship Cards were created to help children develop skills to build a strong friendship, encouraging them to express their feelings, discuss their differences and resolve them in a constructive way
What’s it all about
Happy Children - Train the trainer course
This initiative is being organised in collaboration the Ministry of Education who are kindly sponsoring the training courses listed below. The training course will take place over three workshops of four hours each. The workshops will be spread over a number of weeks, giving the individual time to practice using the cards with others.
There are two courses being organised:
Dates of Course Consisting of 3 sessions – Ref FC/36
(Fully Booked – you can apply to be on the waiting list)
- Session 1 – Wednesday 24th January 2024
- Session 2 – Wednesday 21st February 2024
- Session 3 –Wednesday 6th March 2024
Venue: Institute of Education – Pembroke
Dates of Course Consisting of 3 sessions – Ref FC/37
- Session 1 – Wednesday 10th April 2024
- Session 2 – Wednesday 8th May 2024
- Session 3 – Wednesday 29th May 2024
Venue: To be advised
Time 8.30am to 12.30pm
Cost of Course:
The course has been sponsored by the Ministry of Education, so there is no cost to attend provided that the participant attends the 3 sessions and completes the course work. Participants will be given a resource kit which includes the ‘Friendship Cards”, enabling them to train and share the initiative with others.
Participants will receive an accreditation provided they attend the three workshops and complete the course work as described below.
Target Audience: This training course is open Educators, Teachers, LSA, Nurture, Guidance, SLT and all who work with children and families
Selection Process If you are interested in participating in these workshops you are kindly invited to submit an application as per the guidelines on this site.
Kindly send your application as early as possible as seats are limited to 16 persons.
The school/organisation will be duly informed once the application has been processed and accepted.
Workshop 1: An Introduction to the Project
- To demonstrate what emotional literacy is.
- To recognise why emotional literacy is important for today’s society.
- To discuss how to make students more emotional literate.
- To recognise the importance of problem resolution skills
- To recognise the concept behind the ‘Friendship Cards’.
- To introduce drama & role-plays in the ‘Friendship Cards’ exercises
- To explore how to use the different stages of the ‘Friendship Cards’.
Workshop 2: Story Telling
- To share experiences & give feedback
- To learn how to use storytelling to create situations for discussion
- To continue to develop drama & role-plays in the ‘Friendship Cards’ exercises
- To develop activities with the aim of applying different techniques in various situations
Workshop 3: Conflict Resolution & Forgiveness
- To continue to develop Conflict Resolution skills with the ‘Friendship Cards’ exercises
- To identify situations and problems where different techniques may be applied
- To discuss good practices in relation to the use of the ‘Friendship Cards’ in various contexts
- To outline and discuss the benefits and challenges when using of ‘Friendship Cards’ in a classroom setting
- To share and give feedback to the group
Participants will receive a certificate provided they attend all the sessions and submit the following:
- Fill in the Reflective Diary (template to be provided)
- Upload the 3 activities (including photos or clips where possible) on the resource centre, and the closed Facebook page as evidence of the actual sessions that have been carried out (template to be provided)
- Create a work plan with objectives, learning outcomes, and activities using the ‘On Our Journey”.
- Participants are encouraged to work in teams or ask colleagues to give feedback.
Terms and conditions:
Participants accept that Relationship are Forever Foundation will own and may use/publish all material/photos/videos developed/taken during the course and/or published on respective digital media outlets for promotion and education purposes (please ensure that you have the consent form completed before loading the photos of the participants, alternatively place a solid circle to hide the identity of the individual).
Follow the steps
The feeling set of cards help us connect to our feelings and share them with friends & people we trust … the cards help us start the beautiful process of connecting to the people we care about
The Bad moves help us realise and avoid certain actions which could do more harm and hurt the each other without even knowing
Sometimes we are stuck in stalemate, Good Moves cards are packed with great & beautiful ideas we can use to explore the situation, understand each other and eventually find a way forward
Once we have made a number of Good Moves we can Make Up. This a the most beautiful set of all …. The cycle is complete and the friendship becomes stronger
Finally we reflect on how we feel having travelled the journey
We have created an education tool where children can learn communication life skills while playing a game. Friendship Cards are an interactive tool which can be used with friends at school and families at home. They help in the development of emotional literacy and conflict resolution skills, which empower the individual to cultivate positive attitudes.
Friendship Cards will provide children with ideas to make good choices that contribute to a happy and meaningful life. Friendship Cards will help children take positive actions to build a character based on strong values and healthy relationships.
Happy Children and Happy Families are the foundations of a strong and stable society.
Even if you are really good friends with someone, you can still have arguments or disagreements. That’s no big deal once you understand what’s really going on and how you can work things out together. These cards help you to:
- Feel comfortable in saying how you feel, talking with each other and finding out what caused the disagreement;
- Realise that life is full of choices
- Bad choices/moves only end up aggravating the situation and will take you nowhere
- While Good choices/moves will help us understand what happened and how we can resolve the situation
- Focus on taking positive steps and avoiding hurtful behaviour so that you can make up and be good friends again
- Reconnect to your feeling, reflect how you are feeling and why
Each card is designed to facilitate reflection, analyses and critically evaluate feelings, behaviours and outcomes.
Here is an example from “Friendship Cards”.The cards are colour coded to reflect the phase.
Each card has a key text and picture to help visualise the message. The back of the cards contains a list of questions intended to make you think and talk about, the last point on the card is a reflection on a possible way forward